Friday, December 13, 2013

Apple Banana Breakfast Cake

I love having cakes for breakfast. A slice of cake with some orange juice is my piece of cake. And when it is ladden with fruits and with no hint of butter, it makes me all the more happier cos I know that I can always have a second helping without any guilt. Isn't that what food is all about!!! Eating to the heart, soul, mind and everything's content.

I usually pick out one banana from our banana basket and then condemn it to solitary confinement so that it goes brown, speckled and absolutely ripe. Then I bake breads from that banana.

I made this cake when I had mushy ripe bananas and the urge to add another fruit so that I could make a wholesome breakfast cake for that week. When I browsed I came across recipes using apple in banana breads and it fit the bill just right. A dash of cinnamon completed the cake perfectly. Apple + cinnamon = bliss isn't it. If you are game for the equation then try apple+banana+cinnamon, you will love it. The only thing that I would change the next time is the sweetness, we felt it overly sweet, must be because of the banana and apple. Also instead of grating the apples I would opt for chopped ones, cos the grated apples led a dense texture to the cake. Other than that this makes for a hearty breakfast option.


~*What U Need*~
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup, I used 1/4 brown sugar and 1/4 regular sugar
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 tsp

Grated apple - 2 cups, I used Honey crisp
Bananas - 1, mashes
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/4 cup, I used canola
Eggs - 1
Walnuts - 1/4 cup

How I Made it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add sugar to the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix well. Take the mashed banana with the egg and mix well.

Add oil, grated apple to the egg mixture and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold well. If using walnuts add at this stage and fold gently.

Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 30-35 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Serve with milk!!!

** My Notes:
** I felt that adding 1/2 cup sugar made the cake overly sweet so next time I would keep into 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
** Also the cake was dense must be because of the fruits in the batter so next time I would try adding another 1/4 cup flour.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

12 comments:

  1. Looks nice and dense cake Vimitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this combo, cake looks very moist and delicious...perfect for breakfast with milk :) good one Vimi !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cake Vimi :) love the combo must have smelt and tasted heavenly :) may be I must also try this combo soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful cake .yes goes very well for a mornings with juice...

    MyKitchenOdyssey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks soooo yum ...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cake.. thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vimitha, cake for breakfast is really very inviting! A healthy cake that is and this apple banana cake is full of fiber and everything good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cake looks so moist and perfect for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.