Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Malabar kaipola

Hope all my US friends who were in the path of 'Hurricane sandy' safe and sound. If it was Sandy for US, it was 'Nilam' for Chennai. Though the code was low for 'Nilam' people were asked to take cover and evacuate from low lying areas due to the high wind speeds. Hope everyone recovers soon from both the disasters and my prayers for all the deceased.
Coming back to the recipe, I saw this in Fitfortaste and was instantly hooked to it. The recipe calls for ripe nendrampazhams which is not easy to get in Chennai and though got does not have the authentic taste (the taste from Kerala).

Whenever amma and appa comes from native, they bring us loads of these bananas as both of us love em and also they stay good for atleast a week. So this time when I got these beautiful bananas from my hometown, I let some of them to go ripe and more ripe just to try this. Final word, this recipe is a winner and makes for a perfect filling morning breakfast with some toast and cold milk.

Adapted from Fitfortaste
~*What U Need*~
Ripe Nendra pazham/plantains - 2, chopped
Eggs - 1
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Broken Cashewnuts - 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
Milk - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 2 + 2 tsp

How I Made it:
Heat 2 tsp ghee in a nonstick pan, add the chopped plantains and saute till golden say 2 mins. Add sugar and saute until sugar melts completely. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg. Add milk and beat well. Add cashews and raisins to the banana and mix well. Add the egg mixture to this, followed by the grated coconut and mix.

Heat a frying pan on low flame, add 2 tsp ghee and swirl. Pour the mixture and cook for 10 mins. Flip and cook for 5 mins. Remove and cut into pieces.

Serve with tea!!!

** My Notes:
** Adding milk gives a subtle fluffiness. You can ignore this also.
** The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar but I added only 1 tbsp sugar as my bananas were way too ripe and also I preferred them less sweet.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

43 comments:

  1. new to me.. Looks nice and tempting
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow delicious n yummy....done it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some thing very new to me..Looks deliciouis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe, looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. super inviting dear!!!Join me in Fast Food - Vermicilli Event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and tempting! Love the colour as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting recipe, looks inviting !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tempting recipe, looks super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me.. But looks so delicious and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very new dish for me,we dont get those nenthrapazham here, wish i live in India to try this kind of delicious foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting and delicious recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nenthrapazhams our favourite too but never tried it this way.... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Malabar kaipola is new to me...but with plantains and chestnut, it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever with bananas and all those spices that you used, sounds absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice caramalized plantain..simple and healthy dish..love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my fav for tea time,made them few days back...yummm

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummy.
    http://realhomecookedfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful recipe... never heard of this... sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this...A perfect delicious snack...

    ReplyDelete
  20. deliciously done this would be good for snack or dessert

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these as they are very easy to prepare and kids simply love it..

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow,looking very delicious,very nice job admin,keep going..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.