Monday, October 7, 2013

(Amma Cooks) Vendakkai Morkuzhambhu / Spiced Buttermilk gravy with Lady Fingers

Amma generally makes this instant morkulambhu with a simple potato fry to go with it. It makes a simple yet comforting Saturday lunch for us. I love the ease with which one can make amma's morkulambhu. Its just like whisking the curd and seasoning it with the tempering. And then there is this besan flour which she adds to the gravy which makes the gravy thicker and which gives it a unique taste. And the potato fry, it just completes lunch.

The other day when I was talking to her, she kept coming back to this vendakkai morkuzhambu that the neighbor aunty had shared with her and that made me interested too. I asked her to get the recipe, try it out at home and share the pic and recipe details so that I can share it here. I am gonna try this soon too.

~*What U Need*~
Thick curd - 2 cups
Lady fingers - 10 nos
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Vegetable oil - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig

To grind
Thuvaram paruppu / toor dhal - 1 tbsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Green chilli - 2
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp

How I Made it:
Cut the lady fingers into bite sized pieces and fry it till golden brown in a non stick kadai, using 1 tsp vegetable oil. Remove and keep it aside.

Soak toor dal for 15 mins. Beat the curd nicely using a whisk till smooth, add 1/2 cup water and bring it to buttermilk consistency. Add salt, turmeric powder and hing and mix well. Grind the soaked toordhal, cumin seeds, green chilli and coconut into a smooth paste. Add the paste to the buttermilk and mix well.

Heat coconut oil in the kadai. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.

Add the buttermilk mixture to it. Stir in medium low till it starts boiling. Remove from heat. Add the lady fingers and serve.

** My Notes:
** Use homemade curd for best results.
** While grinding the coconut paste, don't use water. Instead use the buttermilk we have kept aside.
** Always add the lady fingers before serving.

Serve hot with white rice and potato roast. It makes a heavenly combo.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

28 comments:

  1. romeo juliet combo ! more kuzhambu taste best in Ladies finger ! looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fascinating.Love this combo.

    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this curry.. Well I too prepare them but never use dal.. Sure will try this way once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually been seeing similar recipes of ladys finger cooked with yogurt a lot lately on many blogs...looks like the latest food craze ;-) Looks definitely yummm I shud say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had anything in buttermilk gravy, sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Looks Yum, perfect with a bowl of Rice !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super morkuzhmabu Vimitha love it, wish I could have the whole kadai and one big bowl of rice....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried the kadhi with bhindi and this recipe sounds very interesting dear :) looks super inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy I am hungry looking at the delicious vendakai morkuzhambu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lipsmacking morkuzhambu...Fantastic food, definitely a comforting dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very delicious, your clicks make it more tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy morkulambu.. super comforting meal..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to add few fenugreek and ginger. Lovely isn't it? It is my lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy...love the combination..

    http://resnastastyhome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks really delicious, yummy with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hot rice with this curry can take you out of the world.. so tempting curry..

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG,am drooling over here....simply superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A completely new dish for me..looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very lovely mor kuzhambu. Looks delicious. Very happy to follow you.

    On-going event: What's with my cuppa?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.