Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 9#: Pachaipayaru Inji Sundal | Navarathiri Recipes & Saraswathi Pooja Wishes

Happy Saraswathi pooja and Ayudha pooja wishes to all my dear readers. Hope you had a great day today. Its been a long and hectic day for me with all the cleaning and wiping. And when done with that I had to prep up for the evening pooja... Whew... I actually wanted to postpone this post to tomorrow but then the lil one started his night early and I had some 'me'-time and the huss was away from the PC and so I sat to frame the post.

I made Sarkarai Pongal and Pachaipayaru sundal for neivedhiyam today. Both easy to make recipes and that is what I wanted after all the work done today. Some easy-peesy dishes that will not take too much time in the kitchen. I already have a sarkarai pongal recipe in my space but that uses a pongal pot. So I decided to put up one which can be made in 30 mins and which uses a pressure cooker. Off to the recipes.

~*What U Need*~
Raw rice / Pacharisi - 1 cup
Moong dhal - 3 tbsp
Thinly sliced and cut Coconut - 2 tbsp
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Water - 2 tbsp + 1/4 cup
Broken Cashews & Raisins - a handful
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Cardamom powder - a generous pinch

How I made it:
Soak rice and moong dhal in water for 1 hour. Add 2 tbsp water to jaggery and boil till the jaggery melts. Strain to remove impurities.

Pressure cook rice and moong dhal with 1/4 cup of water for 3 whistles till soft and mushy. Add jaggery syrup and mix well. If required add some more water and bring it to porridge consistency.

Meanwhile, heat ghee, fry the cashews and raisins till golden brown and puffy. Also fry the coconut till light brown.

When the mixture starts to boils again, add the ghee, cashews, raisins, coconut, elaichi powder and give it a stir. Serve hot!


~*What U Need*~
Green gram - 1/2 cup
Grated Fresh Coconut - 2 tbsp
Grated ginger - 1 tsp

Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Dried Red Chillies - 1-2
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Hing - a small pinch
Salt, Oil

How I Made it:
Soak the green gram for 2 to 3 hours. Rinse and drain. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. till soft. Drain and set aside.Heat 1 tsp oil in pan. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and let them splutter. Add the broken red chillies, curry leaves, ginger and hing and fry for a few seconds.

Now add the cooked green gram and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the grated fresh coconut and salt to it and mix well. Remove from flame. Serve hot!!!

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

29 comments:

  1. yummy pongal n delicious sundal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and yummy sundal. Love the pongal I make sakkara pongal too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy and sweet sundal.. very tempting
    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two very interesting dishes that I have never eaten before. I am sure I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy navaratri!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Saraswathi pooja to u and family! Looks soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a great festival Vimitha....Delicious neivedyams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a rice prepared this way....looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy vijayadashmi. nice collection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Vijaydashami vimitha..Delicious pongal and sundal
    1st time visitor and a follower too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both Pongal and sundal makes me drool, i love the flavour of ginger in sundal too,well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. adding ginger to pacha payaru is simply awesome...keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice recipes...both sweet and savory...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious pongal and healthy yummy sundal. Awesome combo.

    today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.com/2012/10/red-lentil-fritters-masoor-daler-bora.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks absolutely fabulous..:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.