Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ven Pongal

I hate pongal. Yeah you heard it right. My first date with pongal left me sick. I had this for the very first time in my college hostel and was left with food poisoning. Ever since, I haven’t touched pongal. Down south, natives only make sweet pongal. So I was not accustomed to this recipe.But Huss dear is exactly opposite. He loves pongal. When I was in my in-law’s house, he used to ask my MIL to prepare this frequently. But now (after we moved out) he doesn’t even take the topic of pongal knowing my dreadful encounter with it.

Few days back, we happened to stop for a quick brunch @ Murugan’s Idli shop. People from Chennai would definitely know this shop as it is quite famous for its delightful south Indian dishes. Guessed you would have, my Huss went for Pongal. It was then that I understood how he had loved this dish. Ever since I wanted to try it at home and have been browsing for recipes. I have adapted this recipe from Chefinyou.com.

Serves – 1; Preparation time – 20 mins.

~* What U Need *~

Raw rice – ½ cup
Moong dhal – 3-4 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Tempering:
Cumin seeds – 1//2 teaspoon
Peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
Ginger – Peeled and sliced – 10-15 pieces
Asafoetida powder – a pinch
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cashews – 5- 10
Ghee – 3 teaspoons

How I Made it
Wash and clean rice and lentils well. Mix them both and add 1 ½ cups of water and pressure cook for 10-15min – or until 3-4 whistle. Since it was my first attempt, I was not sure about the quantity and hence used 2 tablespoons of lentils only. It was not enough and hence you can use 3-4 tablespoons.
Meanwhile in a little ghee, add the ginger slices, and then add peppercorns and cumin and sauté. Then add curry leaves and asafoetida, stir it for 2-3 seconds and remove with a spoon
In the same pan, add the cashews and roast them till golden brown.

Now add salt, spice/nut mixture to the cooked rice/lentils and mix well.
Serve hot with coconut chutney / sambar.

The only backdrop was that there were not enough lentils. Otherwise it was delicious. Said Mr A.


Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

29 comments:

  1. Ooo nice, I make it.. But never looked or tasted like yours for sure!!! it always gets sooo mashed up!!! will try your exact recipe!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so perfect vimitha...texture,color n everything looks so tempting...I am goin to follow this recipe next time...well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW looks fantastic!!!!
    wanna finish that complete bowl
    Food Blog News
    Event-Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautifully presented dear ~ nice authentic recipe, thanks for sharing :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. a perfect pongal Vimitha...nice clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Ven Pongal !! Looks delicious !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Roti Pachadi/Chutney

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pongal when it is in dry form like normal rice. With coconut chutney and sambar ...wow..wonderful dish...

    Cheers.
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy Pongal. Hubby's favorite .. me no so much :)

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hot pongal with lots of peppercorn on that .. spicy ..warm .. comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot about this dish but never really tasted it. I even thought it was made of semolina, silly me! Glad you conquered your aversion to this dishl for the love of your hubby, so sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent looking pongal Vanitha. I am sure everyone liked this dish very much. Delicious preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. ven pongal is my family's fav brekfast and i too love to make this. came out so well

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,the case is vice-versa in our house! I love pongal,but hubby dear just hates it! ;)

    Pongal looks yummmM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pongal is my favourite.
    I have eaten at MURUGAN IDLI SHOP...
    Food at that place is simply DIVINE...can't forget the soft and yummy idlis...you can just go on eating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All time favorite.. With some sambar and chutney,heaven..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pongal is one thing which tastes really yummy when made properly...I like pongal..:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely and my hot favourite delicious pongal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my favorite breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loveee ven pongal :D Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  20. simple and comforting food, nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely speedy recipe that I always love :) Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!!! First tym here ...Happy following u
    thesaji.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ven pongal looks delicious and lovely. Perfect for breakfast. Very nicely presented.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My all time fav Vimitha, ur's is perfectly done, like to enjoy hot with ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't tasted Pongal yet. This looks great! You have such authentic dishes in your blog!!

    Vimitha, thanks for visiting my blog. Your comment on my post Mughlai Paratha says you are following me, but it is not reflected in my follower list. Could you please check what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow. looks so delicious.try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.