Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year| Randam Rantings| Grilled Honey Pineapple with Chocolate Sauce| and Guest post for Sumanarthy's Kitchen

Disclaimer: This is gonna be a lengthy post so please bear with me.
Like all the food bloggers out there, I wanted to end 2012 with a recap, a thankyou note and a wish. But then the kid never allows me to sit in front of the laptop these days. As soon as the welcome screen pops live, he comes crawling at jet speed out of no-where. And then it is literal banging to the screen... oh, I don't know till when the lappy is gonna last and its just been out of service. That said, I just couldn't find time to browse through recipes and put down those recipes that the readers loved as a post. The lappy remains closed all through daytime and I sit to compose a post or trim a pic only when the kid has been rocked to sleep. And at times, I just give up and crash on the bed.

So giving up on the replay post, I moved on to other thoughts. A whole lot of ideas have been going through my mind on what to post on new year's eve. Orange curd tartlets or a chocolate mudcake.. why not butterscotch blondies (..oh the blondies have been in my to-do list for a long time) or nutella brownie bites. Ideas seem to come pouring. But I just couldn't bring myself together to bake something. The idea of celebrating a New year without the huss is weighing me down and is making me sulk. And just like a booster, came by the FB msg from Karthi. She wanted another guest post for her beautiful blog and the theme was Xmas and new year. Since I had already posted a Christmas fruit cake for this year, I took up the theme of New Year. Not wanting to do an elaborate bake, I wanted to keep it simple and when I saw a fully riped pineapple sitting on my kitchen counter, I knew what the recipe was going to be. Its a simple but elegant dish and is best served hot, topped with a dollop of ice cream and drenched in chocolate sauce. Do hop over to Sumanarthy's kitchen to know more. She hasn't posted it yet so do give it sometime.

Talking about this year, its been quite adventurous and I can describe it as a wholesome package of joy. We took a step ahead in life and ventured into parenthood ~ entered our god-sent-gift on the month of April and ever since he has been keeping us on our toes. Its been a roller-coaster ride, I would say. But end of the day, when I see him cuddled next to me, his tender hand resting peacefully across my bosom, my heart feels like bursting with love and happiness.

On the blogging front, I would say I have my own milestones. Done with my 200th post (..ok I know it is too slow, but I am happy that I could get there), my blog has got 300+ followers and am planning to open my FB page (... I didn't till now, becos I know me and I know I will not be actively maintaining it), announced my first event, had a winner for that and got done with a giveaway. Started with posting the cake that I bake for my kid's monthly birthday on the 22nd of every month which has got many readers attention and comments. And yeah, I thought of giving up blogging with the entry of the kid, but I was reluctant to do so. But thanks to DH and amma, I am in full form till now. Lets see what the future holds.

On the personal front, I have seen F.R.I.E.N.D.S sitcom for the 3rd time, completed all the seasons, finished reading the whole Harry Potter series for the 7th time and am reading more articles on food photography (I know my photos donot reflect anything of that kind but I am still on the READING stage). Added to that I never miss an episode of GREY's ANATOMY and now I have two dream boys added to my list... McDreamy and McSteamy.

When I was thinking that the year was coming to a peaceful end, (...yeah the Mayan calendar was proved to be wrong and we still live, thanks to that) the whole world was shook first by the Connecticut shooting and then by the Delhi r**e. No-one in their right mind would attempt to do something like that and still the sinners live. A friend of mine posted this on her wall:

Rightly said... No action has been taken till date that would make the victim's family happy. No action has been taken by the government to assure the citizens that they are in safe hands and sins like this will not be tolerated. Days after this incident happened, I came across another article: read this and this. Where has humanity gone, where has law gone, where has social dignity gone, where is the world going to end up. Lets wake up, lets stand up and fight for our rights. I know nothing can be done against the government and these ill mannered men but atleast we can ensure our own safety.

** Stand up when you see a b*****d rubbing against a woman
** Call back and I say use words, when you see a group teasing a girl
** Shout when you see someone verbally assaulting a lass
** Have a pepper spray in hand or atleast a compass, believe me it comes handy
** Protect your children, have an eye on them anytime, anywhere. Donot trust anybody, your father, your brother, your FIL even your huss, when it comes to your child.
** Talk to your child, let them know what is bad touch and good touch. Make them talk about their day and you will know if anything has gone wrong.

Do share the below pic in your space if you wish to.
Okay I know I have mouthed penned many of my thoughts here and am putting an end to it. All I wanted to tell is Stay safe, be safe and Play safe.

WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY AND SAFE YEAR AHEAD. And thanks to all my dear readers who have taken their time throughout the year to stop by and say a Hi through your comments. Do visit more often.

Updated on 26/1/2012 with the full recipe

~*What U Need*~
For the chocolate sauce/gravy
Butter - 2 tbsp
Unsweetened cocoa powder - 1 tbsp
Flour - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp

How I Made it:
Heat butter in skillet. Stir in flour, cocoa powder and sugar and continue to cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk slowly say 1 tbsp at a time, whisking till incorporated. Cook for another 2 minutes, until thick. Add vanilla and remove from flame.
Store in air tight containers...

~*What U Need*~
For the Grilled Honey Pineapple
Pineapple slices - 4, fresh or drained
Honey - 2 tbsp
Butter - 2 tbsp

How I Made it:
Heat butter in a grill or griddle. Place the pineapple once the grill is hot, drizzle honey around the sides and cook for 3-4 mins till nice and caramelized. Flip, drizzle more honey and cook again. Once caramelized remove from pan.
Serve hot, with a dollop of icecream (..which I missed) and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

** My Notes:
** Use fresh pineapple or canned ones. If using canned drain the juices fully.
** Using a grill gives the beautiful lines, but since I didn't have one, I used a griddle. But I highly recommend using a grill.
** You can also add 1 tsp of lime juice and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. ** I used Cadbury's cocoa powder and hence skipped the vanilla.
** Cook till forms a thick custard and if it is too thick, dilute using milk to the desired consistency
** The sauce can be stored and used within 2 days. Serve as a dip for fruit bites or breads.

So bye guys, See you next year... Have fun and enjoy life. and do check out this video which I found quite useful..

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Vimitha, nice posting. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy New year to you and wish you all the best in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post dear. Will check sumans blog for the recipe. Ur son looks very cute...
    Wish u a happy and prosperous new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post dear....Happy New Year....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post dear..Good bye 2012:)
    Wishing you & family a very Happy New Year!!
    Join EP event-Nutmeg OR Parsley @ Chef Mireille's Global Creations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, This post is looking great! Hope to see more of your creative endeavours in the new year. Wish you and your family a very Happy and Blessed New Year!!! Happy Holidays :)
    Love & Regards, Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post dear...
    Happy New year to you and your family and wish you all the best in 2013:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Vimitha! A well written post and one to jolt ourselves awake to be more proactive to help our sisters. The world has gone crazy and only us can bring back the sanity if each and everyone puts in an effort. And now, this nutella brownie bites that you speak of, when is it coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Very Happy 2013 . Hope you have a rocking year.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year. May the new year bring in happiness peace and joy into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post Vimitha! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post Vimitha...Wishing you and your family a very happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post!! Happy new year to u too!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post Vimitha, wish to try now.... Happy new year dear.

    today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2012/12/uzhunnu-vada-methu-vada-urad-dal-savory.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Vimitha! Hope u have a wonderful 2013 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your views dear. nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A thoughtful post.I am completely disturbed even now to post something Vimitha. Relieved to find at least you could write something on what happened..What more to say yaar ?

    May you be blessed with peace,health and Dignity in the years to come...happy 2013 !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you & family a very Happy New Year !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a very informative post...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com
    Happy New Year !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year 2013. Very delicious dessert. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    Luv and hugs to the lil bundle of joy. He is so cute. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love to your lil Aryan and warm wishes to you for this new year. lets make life and surroundings better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great write up....lovely post !
    Wishing u a happy newyear !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Ramadan to every Muslim. It is a very pious month for the muslims. Making Grilled Honey Pineapple with Chocolate Sauce is a very good idea to celebrate the Ramadan. Thanks for sharing this with us. I really appreciate that. Now it's time to avail Outbound Call Center Services for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.