Thursday, February 16, 2012

Yucca Chicken Biryani / Kappayum Kariyum

Kappayum meenum has always been my favorite and I know tat the recipe is missing in my space. The reason being I devour the entire lot and leave nothing to be clicked. The huss is not a huge fan of kappa meen combination and so he just takes a bite or two. So when I came across the kappa biryani from Ria's collection, I knew that I would try it for him. The original recipe called for beef but since we don't take beef, I replaced it with chicken. I also tweaked the original recipe to suit our palate and the huss was impressed with this combo. The dish had this masala-y, spicy flavor with a melt-in-the-mouth texture which I have become a huge fan of...

~Serves - 2
*What U Need*~
For the Chicken curry
Chicken with bones - 1/4 kg
Onion(large) - 1
Tomato - 1
Green Chilli - 1, slit
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil

For Kappa/Yucca
Kappa - 1/2 of 1 large root
Water - 3-4 cups
Salt
Turmeric powder - a pinch

For tempering
Coconut oil - 5 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pearl onions - 6 - 7
Ginger(chopped) - 1/2 tsp
Garlic(chopped) - 1 /2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
How I Made it:
Clean the kappa and chop into small 1 inch pieces. Boil this in water with turmeric and salt till the kappa is soft. Once done, drain water and mash some pieces of the kappa.
In a kadai, heat oil and add the slit green chilli. Add the onions and fry till translucent. Next add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the onions are caramelised and brown. Add the chopped tomato and fry till mushy and done. Add in the spices, salt and fry till oil oozes out. Next goes in the chicken pieces. Cook till done. Add some water and make the gravy. Do a taste check. Mix the boiled kappa with the chicken gravy. Make sure you mix very well and mash some of the kappa pieces as you go. This increases the flavor of the whole dish.
Heat oil, splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add onions, ginger and garlic and saute till onions are golden brown in color. Pour over the kappa-chicken mixture and mix well.

Note: This dish will thicken as it cools, so make sure it's a little runny.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,
>
Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

13 comments:

  1. our family fav. recipe.....luks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Vimitha! Hop over to my blog, I have something special for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is very new to me but your looks too delish and I am sure to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is yummy...As my husband cant eat too much Beef I sometimes cook Yuca and Chicken like Kappa Biriyani.Yours look so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful and tatsy dish dear...looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. This combo is very new to me...sounds very interesting...looks so spicy n tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. masala and ginger... i'm liking it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.