Thursday, October 24, 2013

Homemade Khoya/Mawa/Kova | How to

I am back after an awesome weekend trip to see my brother. Yes the huss took a day off and we planned a trip to SFO away from the dipping WI temperatures. It was chilly there too but good chilly. The chillness cleared off by the noon and then we would pack off to tour the city. I loved the place, it was buzzing with people, filled with awesome food and you have Gucci, Vera Wang and Ghiradelli. I was merely ogling at all the high-end shops in Union Square for 2 hours. And then my brother whisked us away to the Whaft were I could do some actual shopping. I bought fridge magnets, loads of chocolates and even an artisan sourdough bread at the Boudin bakery which I travel-packed and bought it all the way to WI. We made sandwiches for our dinner yesterday night and I still have some leftovers(BTW its gonna be PB&J on sourdough for breakfast tomorrow). In short, we hanged out, we chilled out, we ate out and we talked a lot. It was quality time with my brother after 4 long years and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Now that we are back, life is slowly moving back to normal(...but mentally I am not). There are loads of winter-shopping to be done and all I have is a carton of milk that I saved before the vacation. I so have to go grocery shopping if I need to put lunch on our plates tomorrow. I wanted to take a break from blogging too cos this weekend is going to be pretty busy too. The huss's friend is coming over to stay with us for the weekend and u know how it is gonna be. And then when I sat down to while away, my mind was buzzing with thoughts and the only way that I could relax seemed to be blogging and so I started going through my drafts.

Since it is Diwali time, I thought that I could share this simple 'how to' to break the blogging lag. I made this Khoya before the SFO trip and then I made Khoya burfi the next day. It was super delicious filled with the flavor of fresh cardamom and just like the store bought ones. All the labor and patience that went into making this 1 cup of khoya was worth everything cos the burfi was fresh filled with homemade goodness. As I said making khoya needs 100% attention and patience and not leaving the pan side even for a minute but nothing can beat the freshness of anything homemade. Off we go to the step by step tutorial.

Prep Time: 0 mins; Cooking time: 30-45 mins; Makes: 1 cup

~*What U Need*~
Full fat whole milk - 4 cups/ 1 litre

How I Made it:
Take a heavy bottomed wide vessel or a non stick pan. Bring the milk to a boil. Once the milk boils, reduce the flame to medium and cook till it thickens. Scrap the sides at times.

When the milk thickens, reduce the flame to low. Keep stirring until the milk completely thickens and forms khoya. Remove it from the flame, allow to cool and store.


Store in an airtight container.

** My Notes:
** Use full fat milk to get a better result.
** Khoya thickens as it cools.
** Keep scraping down the sides frequently.
** You can remove the khoya from the flame depending on how much moisture content you need.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

12 comments:

  1. Khoya looks awesome Vimitha.. Useful post.. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. now I expect a very good sweet from this very lovely home made mawa!.. Book marking n m going to try soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vimi ..nee kalakku sooperb trip eh.. good pics n love the homemade khoya..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khoya looks delicious glad that you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooyum..thanks for visiting and following....i amur newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful that you enjoyed your trip and had loads of memorable moments there.. Homemade khoa is definitely the best, now am waiting for the burfi now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very useful post Vimitha and nice step wise pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our memories of SFO flashes ,when I read ur post. Same here too, we too had that sourdough bowls with hot soup. Loved it to the core. Love the khoya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tried your way n got best result, only difference I added ghee at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Collection Marts is platform where you can view latest designs about home décor and bedding. We have large range in different categories with finest fabric in cotton and silk. You can view not only present trends but also view huge collection with reasonable price. king size mattress cover , single bed razai cover The Collection Marts can provide fast service about delivery as well as customer support too. Our products are not only self-made but also, well connected with markets to ensure for possibility of available designs if client want to purchase. The Collection Marts customer support open 24/7 to guide their customers about material or product stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.