Thursday, October 3, 2013

Beetroot Sago Payasam | Easy Festival Recipes & Celebrating 400th Post...

I like beetroots but the worst part that I hate about them is prepping them up. It needs time, plenty of time to slice them and cut them into cubes. And so I mostly go for the grating option. But one thing nice about them is that they don't go bad that easily. And so I buy beetroots, just to stack them up in the far-east corner of my fridge. And then I stack some broccoli on to top of them, not to forget the carrots, beans and cabbage and then I forget them. Its that simple, I forget them literally. I remember them only when I clean my fridge the next week.

This payasam happened because I found a single lonely fellow(beetroot) hiding behind my veggies. He was small, alone and was in need of help. All options striked out, with no vision of what I am gonna do, I simply steam cooked it and thought of making a milkshake but then a kheer sounded more delicious and just right for dessert after the finger-licking chicken biryani that we had had for lunch. Thick, creamy and rich in flavor, this payasam is perfect warm or cold!!!

On that note, I am happy to tell you that this is my 400th post... Really happy that I am here and thanks to all my readers and fellow bloggers for all the support and encouragement that you have given throughout this journey of mine.

Makes - 2 cups; Serves - 2; Cooking time - 20 mins; Prep time - 10 mins

~*What U Need*~
Beetroot puree - 1/4 cup
Sago pearls - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 4 tbsp (adjust per taste)
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cashews - 2 tbsp
Raisins - few

How I Made it:
Cook a medium- sized beetroot for 3 whistles and blend to puree. Soak sago in water for 30 mins. Heat water in a saucepan and when boiling add the soaked sago and cook till transparent.

Add milk and cook till reduced to 3/4 th. Add the beetroot puree and cook till the raw smell goes off. Add sugar to taste and cook till thick or till it reaches the desired consistency.

Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp ghee and fry the cashews and raisins. Add this to the payasam, followed by the cardamom powder and allow to boil for few mins. Remove from flame.


Serve warm or chilled (tastes best when cold)!!!

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

23 comments:

  1. thats a healthy payasam version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made the sago payasam colorful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beetroot and sago very unique combination.. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. innovative and wonderful combo payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its my long time wish to make beets kheer, love ur kheer with sago, sounds delicious..good one Vimitha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beetroot gives it such a nice colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on Ur milestone, Payasam looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats M payasam looks rich and delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very different and innovative recipe Vimitha... Congrats on your 400th post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. unique combo dear and congrats on your 400th post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour of the kheer,seriously makes me drool..Congrats on ur 400th post sis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on ur 400th post....beetroot payasam is very innovative....

    http://shravscookbookblog.blogspot.in/2013/10/veg-dum-biryani.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats for 400th post and all the best for more to come.. Nice colorful kheer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Vimitha! 400 posts is really a great milestone. Very innovative and yummy payasam

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on your 400th post. Wishu many more to come. Nice and interesting payasam

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats dear,....yummy payasam to celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never thought sago would go this very good with beet! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey playing with vegetables.its very much new to me.Lovely combo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats dear on your 400th post, nice and delicious payasam ,very interesting Vimitha....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats dear..Its really an achievement with lots of useful posts..Love the way you used the beets..Looks superb..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.