Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 3&4#: Pachapayaru Vella Sundal / Green gram Sweet sundal | Navarathiri Recipes

For day 3&4 (yes both fall on the same day) of Navarathiri, I made pachapayaru sundal for padayal. Since it has been savory sundal varieties for the past two days, I wanted to make something sweet today for neivedhiyam (read for us) and hence settled down for pachapayaru vella sundal. Amma used to make this for us when we were kids but she used to mash everything up and make balls out of the mixture. That way she found it easy to feed us and we found it easy to gobble them up. This time I made it dry and I loved this version too.


~*What U Need*~
Green gram / Pachapayaru – 1/2 cup
Salt – A pinch
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water – 2-3 tbsp
Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a pinch(optional)

How I Made it:
Soak the green gram in water for 4 hours. Drain and pressure cook with water for 2 whistles. Drain the green gram. Take the powdered jaggery in a pan, cover with little water and make a syrup. After the jaggery has melted, strain it to remove the impurities. Heat again till it becomes frothy and thick. Remove from flame and add the cardamom powder. I skipped it.

Add the cooked dal and mix well with a fork to avoid turning mushy. Add the grated coconut and mix well. Cool completely.

Serve as snack.


So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

27 comments:

  1. Very healthy and delicious recipe.. nice step by step pics.. thanks for sharing Vimitha :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and healthy sundal.Hope some day I could prepare such a lovely dish.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat this even as a snack..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A healthy and yummy recipe to try for the Navarathri.Appreciate the step by step pictures.


    Last post:Jilipi or Jalebi

    http://www.mellownspicy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. very common sundal in Navartri in every one's house.Yours looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo delicious! Looks appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting. Sweet, delicious and healthy.. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely treat for the holiday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow its new to me Sweet sundal never tried and eat before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy sweet Sundal..
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious sweet sundal. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's indeed yummy and healthy.And loved the simple presentation .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vimitha, this look delicious. I'm sure it taste good with rotis. yum yum

    Have a nice day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. making the sweet version of this is new to me. thanks for sharing. my kids will love this, will try soon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy sweet sundal...we make with karamani too

    ReplyDelete
  16. This ia my fav. Love to have with evening tea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.