Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vada Pav | The ever famous Bombay ka street food

Vada Pav - Naam tho sunaa tha(a famous SRK dialogue ;) ) magar idar nahi mila. Only very few outlets in Chennai sell this simple, yummy street food. But nothing can beat the taste of the ones that you get from a vada pav wala seated by the streets of Mumbai. My dad lived in Mumbai in his early years and he used to tell us how tasty the VP's of Mumbai were. He used to tell that it was one of the staple food of Mumbaites and workers returning home used to munch on these, thus completing their dinner. Eating 2 or 3 VP's would subside the hunger, said he.

Growing up hearing to these stories, eating a Mumbai VP had always been a dream to me. A dream which came true when I visited my new born niece and nephew 2 years back. As soon as I set foot in Mumbai airport, I called up my uncle and asked him to get a couple of them. And he did it laughingly. God, those ppl didn't understand how much I craved for these. Went home, took a shower and freshened up. All through these times, my mind was racing towards the garama garam VP's. I wanted to have them hot with a cuppa chaai.

So finally when I sat back and took a bite out of it, ohhhh god. It was similar to a LAYS ad (No one can eat just one). Yeah, the hot and extreme spiciness suppressed by the tangy and sweet chutney cleaned the palate tickling the taste buds for more. I just loved it. When I came back, I missed the VPs more, than my relatives. After I started food blogging and got to know more dishes, I wanted to try this out but controlled the hotness as Mr.A is not a great fan of spicy dishes. Even then, he wanted something mildly sweet to wash it down and I made some mango milkshake.


Recipe Source :Tarla DalalMakes - 4 wholesome vada pavs

~*What U Need*~
Pav Buns - 4

Chat Chutneys:
Red chutney - 1 tbsp for each pav
Green chutney - 1 tbsp for each pav

For the vadas :
Potatoes - 2(Medium)
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Onion - 1(Medium)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp(chopped)
Hing powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

For Vada outer coating:
Gram flour - 1/4 cup
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - to deep fry


How I Made it:

The Vadas:
Pressure cook the potatoes for 2 - 3 whistles, peel the skin and mash it well. Chop the onions finely. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds and jeera and allow it to splutter. Add onions and saute till it turns lightly browned. Add ginger garlice paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
Add the chilli powder and saute for few mins. Then add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Cool the mixture and combine well with hands. Make 4 equal balls.

The Vada coating:
Mix all the ingredients mentioned under the vada outer coating section. Add little water and bring it to a consistency similar to the bajjis' outer coating. U must be able to coat the vadas uniformly with this mixture. Take the balls, flatten them a bit, dip it into the flour mixture and deep fry it till golden brown

How I assembled the vada pav:
Cut the buns into halves using a serrated knife. Take care that one end is still intact with the other bun. Apply the green chutney to one side and red chutney to the other side. Keep the prepared vadas in between as shown and enjoy your vada pavs.

Tips:
If you make the chutneys before hand, then toasting the vada and assembling the vada pav is half an hours work.
You can store the chutneys till 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
If you want the vada pav to be more flavorful, you can toast the insides of the pav in butter. This makes the dish more rich and tasty. This is a suggestion from my huss which I think will surely work. Gonna try this next time.


Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

41 comments:

  1. Just now i was thinking about this..as a coincide u made me more drooling...now cant stop myself to prepare...
    Absolutely delicious one..ur looks grt..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm drooling over here,looks so tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can easily eat 5 - 7 ..awesome work so so yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made it and had it 2 weeks back now seeing urs make me crave for some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, you made me all nostalgic! I love vada pav and that looks so tempting and incredibly delicious..now I want some..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seriously craving now... too good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouthwatering!! Took me back to My Mumbai Chaupati Beach days!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absoluttely mouthwatering, have had this only few times, but I very well remember its taste..

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all time favourite roadsnack has been recreated by your magical skill. Looks excellent. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...great preparation vimitha...looks so tempting...can u pass the plate?? yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You tempted me with those....so delicious and very nicely prepared..

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Favorite chat. Love it.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  13. one of my fav street food :)..lovely recipe and presentation dear, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. delicious looking vada pav for anytime

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never tasted them.... Sure will give a try...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my husband's fav too :) I should make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely recipe! my fav street food!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naam tho sunaa tha.magar nahi khaya :)..

    looks fantastic n delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my fav !! looks yummy !!

    Ongoing event --CC-Appetizers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice write-up Vimitha! :)

    Vada pav looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have tried this during our Mumbai visit as well. Yours look so yummy and so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so enticing and the final one is making me crave for more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. my mouth's watering and I can't stop it!!!looks very tempting dear!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have prepared vada pav so nicely that I feel like having it now. Looks yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh dear, this looks so yummy! Would love to have a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hmm.... Its mouthwatering..... Pics are too good and so is he VP...... Feeling hungry now....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum ...looks so gud ...love this anytime ..

    ReplyDelete
  28. very delicious, with two chat chutney yummy,

    ReplyDelete
  29. And that's my best ever chat favorite. Love it any time of the day--dinner, lunch or just a snack. Yours make me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  30. simply drooling over this one. nice version and wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can totally relate to the urgency in relishing this king of chaats (for me!)as soon as u landed!!! Looks droolworthy & im craving for them now!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds delicious. Wouldn't mind having some right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice............!
    http://gadgtechworld.blogspot.com/s

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.