Monday, August 29, 2011

Rava Kesari

Imagine you with closed eyes, someone sliding a spoonful of rava kesari with some crunchy toasted nuts and a nice sweet ghee aroma filling your nose. The kesari once into your mouth just melts into a flavorful nothingness. Oh I know many out there would die for this experience. Rich rava kesari is an all time yes-yes for me.

I usually cut down as much ghee/oil as I can from our diet. And that repeats on festivals too. My hand actually does this on it own accord. I don't add more than 1tbsp of oil for stir fry and 2 tbsp for shallow fry and don't even start about deep frying :( The family knows very well about me. So when I called up my mom to ask on how to make kesari, she asked me to hand over the phone to Mr.A. Confused, he got the phone from me and then there was laughter n silence followed by laughter again. It was my turn to be confused and I was given the phone. I got the recipe from my mom, asked her wat the fuss was about for which I got a "U will see soon" answer and then a bye.

I knew tat asking my huss would just be shouting into deaf ears and hence went into the kitchen silently. Was taken back to see Mr.A following me (a rare thing that has happened say twice or thrice previously). Again confused, I started with the kesari and when it was time to tip in the ghee, I understood wat their conversation really meant. In a matter of seconds, he grabbed the ghee bottle from me and poured nearly 6 tsps of ghee into the kesari. I started yelling and jumping "have u gone mad???" It was then that he explained that my mom had asked HIM to add in the ghee, frightened that I would not add in as much needed and the recipe would fail. Gosh, I didn't know people were so much frightened with me and my oil adventures..
But then the episode was fruitful and I loved the loads of ghee flavor coming out. This is how a kesari is meant to be!!! Lesson Learnt...

~*What U Need*~
Sooji / Semolina / Rava – ½ cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 1 ½ cups + ½ cup
Food color – a pinch
Ghee – 6 tsps + 1 tsp
Broken Cashews + dried grapes - 10

How I Made it:
Dry roast the semolina with 1 tsp of ghee till golden brown and u get a nice aroma. Boil 1 ½ + ½*see notes* cups of water till you see bubbles coming up. Now add the food color and stir well till evenly dispersed. Next add in the semolina and keep stirring till it is half done (My tip: wait till the white spots of the sooji fade away).
Add the sugar and mix well. When the sugar has melted and combined well and the kesari is well cooked, add the ghee to it. You will see that the sweet does not stick to the pan now.
Fry the cashews and grapes in ghee, add this to the kesari and combine well.

Serve hot or cool down and cut into pieces with a cashew on top of each piece.

My Notes:
If you feel that the kesari is too thick, then boil the extra 1/2 cup of water and add this to the mixture as soon as you have added the water. The consistency is totally up to you. I had to add the extra 1/2 cup to get a semi-runny consistency.


This is the final recipe of my gokulashtami platter... Hope you guys enjoyed all my recipes.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

23 comments:

  1. Can't resist myself drooling over the rava kesari platter,absolute yum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely Kesari....

    Chk out my Diwali Event:
    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/diwali-festival-of-lights-event-aug.html

    and On Going Event - Strawberry Desserts

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color ~ everyone' fav sweet dish!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. miam, j'en veux un peu, passe un bon lundi, kiss

    ReplyDelete
  5. melting in the mouth here.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My all time fav too!!! Looks soft & fudgy,...just the way i like it ;)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vimitha, you knw what.. when I was reading I was smiling and nodding at the same time... It was like I wrote this... I too am a miser when it comes to use oil/ghee.... My grandma feels sorry for my husband that I dont give him ghee.. He got used to that now, think of the guy who used to literally drink ghee during his childhood days :)
    But some dishes would definitely taste good when added ghee... :)
    Krithi's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw...kesari looks so irresistible..and i am drooling over it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah i imagined and I should't have cause now I want it ... like real badly. I only wish I was your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is one of the most popular in my house....u made it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely colour of your rava kesari...melt in mouth texture..my fav


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rava kesari looks perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My anytime fav ..looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowwwwwwww..... lovely and tempting kesari.. looks super delicious.. thanks for sharing dear.. :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, totally irresistible. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So tempting, never say no to them..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am just the opposite of you...I would pour a lot of oil or ghee in my pan and then repent for adding so much...ha ha...Rava kesari looks so good...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. Looking forward to more recipes from you. We often have issues with our clickthrough rate, therefore we search for articles on social media that will solve all of these problems. Here is a click speed test article that will help you, just as it helped me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.