Monday, August 8, 2011

Baigan ka Bharta / Roasted Eggplant in Onion Tomato Sauce

Baigan ka bharta is a famous Punjabi dish but has been adapted all over India or by Indians all over the world these days with twists and tweaks to suit their own palate. I hate eggplants to the core and avoid buying it except for the ones to be added in sambar. Even when used in Sambar, I used to hand pick the cooked brinjals from the curry… That’s how I hate eggplant.

My mom after her many unsuccessful attempts in trying to give me this, then sought out the method of frying the brinjals with spices. Initially when I was a kid, I used to eat this but then after growing up started to become diet conscious and again stopped eating it. The fried brinjals will suck up oil as like a piece of cotton in water. So tired of her attempts, she stopped trying to give me brinjals in any form.

After marriage, the story continued. Now me being the master of my kitchen, I ignored eggplants. One day I asked hubby to get veggies to make sambar. Asked him to get 2 or 3 brinjals and got frustrated when he returned with half a kg of brinjals. I didn’t want to waste them and hence googled for some spicy and masala-y brinjal recipe. Something which masks the flavor of the eggplants. I had lots of hits with this Baigan ka Bharta, blogs and articles telling how delicious and spicy this dish is. So made this side dish for lemon rice and I totally loved the combination of flavors, the tanginess of the lemon rice playing together with the spiciness of the roasted brinjals is definitely a hit.

~*What U Need*~
Brinjal / Eggplants – 4 to 5
Onions(Large) – 1
Tomatoes(Medium) – 1
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Oil Salt
Coriander leaves – few sprigs
Hing – a pinch

How I made it:
Clean the eggplants well and pat it dry. Brush oil all over the skin and bake in oven or over a grill pan till the eggplant is mushy and done.
When the eggplant is baked well, you will see the skin peeling off. Take it out, cool it down and then peel off the skins and stem.
Mash the eggplant flesh to a pulp. Donot blend this, we need an uneven pulp.

Chop the onions into large chunks and blend this into a smooth paste. Similarly blend the tomatoes too. This step is optional. You can also chop the onions and tomatoes well.
I usually go for the blending option when I am running out of time.

In a hot pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow to splutter. When done, add the curry leaves, hing and fry well.
Add onions / onion paste and fry till brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
Then add the tomatoes / tomato paste and sauté till the mixture is cooked well and oil oozes out.
If you feel that the mixture is too dry, you can add oil / water. Add all the powders (Coriander, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder), salt and fry well.
Then add the mashed eggplant pulp and combine well. Cook in medium flame for 3-4 mins and garnish with chopped coriander leaves

Serve hot with chapathis / any tangy rice like lemon rice / mango rice.

Note: You can add cooked fresh peas to this also.

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

43 comments:

  1. It's like I can eat this any day n with anything ...looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. மிகவும் பிடித்த ரெசிபி இது..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious baigan bhartha,looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking bhartha. Excellent clicks.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. When did I last visit your blog, love the new look of it, nice layout. BTW baigan ka bhartha looks very delicious, nice side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is there in mind since some days whn I was reading about the National Dish of India....
    Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious combination eggplant roasted is always tasty this looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummmmmmmmmmmy let me grab the whole plate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so tempting and nice way to eat brinjals...Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious looking baigan barta.. I am allergic to brinjals.. But I want to try as it looks quite easy your way..

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow ! very nice recipe dear....can you pls change the background color as it is very difficult to read the recipe.

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy :) This will surely be loved by my parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks very delicious dear, great with rice or rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Baingan ka bharta is one of my favs :) looks awesome dear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always a favorite...
    www.savitharajsspiceland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. बनवा कर खाते है।

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make almost the same way! Your version looks dry and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious bangian dish I love them. You made it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like the new look. Baigan is my favorite.....and looks tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Recipe sounds new to me and awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apt for rotis and rice too...looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love roasted eggplant. Looks so perfect and yummy.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  23. i lov this...looks so perfect and tasty..:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. even i dont llike brinjals much. but this one looks interesting...shall try sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  25. 100% fan of dishes with beigun! this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this smoky baingan with rotis!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  27. looks delicious vimitha..Belated friendship day wishes :0

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great way to use up that eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. An award is waiting for you at my space.. Pls collect it..

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just love Baigan ka bharta...This one looks tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks delicious, yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love baingan.. Looks so creamy and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i dont like baingan still this looks apt n yumm..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.