Monday, May 30, 2011

Semiya Payasam with Jaggery & Coconut milk

My Huss is becoming more and more diet conscious day by day. It is a firm NO to refined sugar these days unless and until it is a yummy chocolate cake. Semiya Payasam is my all time favorite. I have been craving for this for quite some time. And when I brought up this with hubby, he was so adamant in using Jaggery instead of sugar. Better something than nothing and so I made this delicious kheer with jaggery.

~*What U Need*~
Semiya / Vermicelli – 100 gm
Javvarisi / Sago pearls - ¼ cup
Thick Coconut milk – 1 glass
Thin Coconut milk – 1 ¼ glass
Milk – 1 glass
Broken Cashews – ¼ cup
Raisins – ¼ cup
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Jaggery – 250 gms
Water – 1 glass

How I Made It

Crush the jaggery into pieces and heat it with some water. Once the jaggery has dissolved well, strain it to remove the impurities.
Add sago / javvarisi to water and heat it till the sago pearls cooks well or till each pearl turns glassy. This will take around 10 – 15 mins. After 5 mins, stir the mixture occasionally as it will tend to stick to the pan
When the sago pearls have cooked, add thin coconut milk and combine well.

When it starts to boil, add the vermicelli and allow to cook. Once the vermicelli has cooked add the jaggery syrup and mix well. Check for sweetness and if required add some more jaggery syrup.
Remember that we still have to add the thick coconut milk and hence make sure that the sweetness is slightly more than required.
Allow to boil.
Add the thick coconut milk and heat for 2-3 minutes and then switch off the flame.

Heat ghee in a kadai. Add the broken cashews and raisins and sauté till golden brown and raisins have puffed up. Add this to the Payasam and give a stir.

Serve hot / chill. I however prefer the chilled version.

Points to remember:
# For 1 glass of semiya use ¼ glass of sago.
# Make sure that the Jaggery syrup is not too runny.
# After 5 mins of addition of sago pearls, stir the mixture occasionally as it will tend to stick to the pan

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

31 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Always love your simple ayet delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O M G my mouth is watering and I am drooling such a tempting payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never done semiya with jaggery...sounds like a delicious idea. I love the taste of jaggery in payasams -- my favorite is ada and parippu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even i never tried semiya with jaggery,looks delicious and fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore jaggery based desserts very much and this is something I will love to try ~ thanks for the recipe dear :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. payasam looks great vimitha...a very good try..i too never tried vermicelli payasam with jaggery...looks so good,just love to try this version...lovely clicks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually prepare semiya with jaggery !! this looks heavenly and wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. never tried jaggery.. nice n healthier than sugar version .... love the pirouette in it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious looking payasam dear. Must have tasted excellent.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy payasam Vimitha. Never used jaggery much .. looks good.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaggery and coconut milk will be awesome combo. nice semiya payasam looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful and delicious payesam . Feel like having a bowl of payesam now. I liked the combo of coconut milk and jaggery which is new and innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thr r some awards waiting for u in my blog pls come and collect....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do pass me that bowl, it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey..that looks absolutely tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. never tried jagerry in semiya payasam, sounds very yummy and quite interesting too

    ReplyDelete
  17. The semiya paysam looks absolutely delectable! Hmm, never done semiya paysasm with jaggery, I always use sugar, and jaggery with ada or dal :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So yummy!!!! We can make delicious semiya kheer with coconut milk & gur?? Fantatstic!!! Trying it out soon :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  19. Slurrrrrpppp!!! You made me drool dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby has give up telling me stop making sweet things ;-0 love the payasom looks so so goo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks yummy, using jaggery sounds tasty and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yummy payasam ,dear! First time to your space,thanx for visiting my space..
    Glad to follow you as well :-)
    http://juls-tryntaste.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Vimitha
    I just feel like finishing the payasam. This recipe is very new for me. Nowadays one doesnt get good Jaggery in Delhi. The jaggery is full of bleaching chemical etc. I am waiting for the new Jaggery season to get some good ones.
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Foodie,
    We welcome you to Follow our news site.
    We will be very Delighited to have you over there.
    You can watch daily news on your fellow bloggers and know about daily blog marathons.

    Team
    Food Blog News Daily

    ReplyDelete
  25. yummy!good to replace jaggery for white sugar!! I love such preparations....good one dear!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.