Mint leaves are aromatic, tasty and most essential in many dishes. They have their own unique health benefits.
- Dried mint leaves, boiled in water, form a strong concoction that helps in soothing the digestive tract and easing the severity of stomachaches.
- Drinking herbal mint tea reduces irritated bowel syndromes and cleanses the stomach.
- Mint is a strong diuretic and therefore, helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
- When included in the diet on a regular basis, mint reduces the growth of bacteria and fungus in the body.
- The antifungal properties associated with mint help in curing asthma and other allergic conditions.
- Crushed mint leaves helps in whitening teeth.
- Mint helps in getting rid of headaches and migraines.
- Inhaling mint gives relief from congestion problems, like sinus infections and common cold.
- Due to the presence of essential oil called menthol, mint finds its usage in preparing a variety of cosmetics and perfumes.
- Inhaling essential oil of mint provides a sense of calm and thus, helps one relax the mind.
- Menthol present in mint makes it an important component of many medicines and drugs.
- Mint finds extensive usage in the field of aromatherapy.
- Mint has antipruritic or anti-itch properties. When added with camphor, it helps to cure insect stings and bites.
- Various researches indicate mint as having anti-cancer properties. The phytonutrient, called perillyl alcohol, in mint is believed to prevent colon, skin and lung cancer.
My pantry is stocked with a bunch of Mint leaves. My Huss does not like dishes garnished with Mint leaves. So I minimally use them. I hate to waste greens and hence adapted my MIL’s recipe. An easy and healthy Mint drink.
Makes – 2 cups; Preparation time – 15 mins
~* Ingredients *~
Mint leaves – a bunch
Small onions – 5-6
Tomato – 1
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Water - 2 cups
Add all the above ingredients in pressure cooker and steam for 3-4 whistles. Strain the water from the pulp. Discard the pulp. By increasing the pepper content, you can provide this drink to anyone with cold. It will be a good kashayam. :)